Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Giving up and going back.


Tuesday morning is the start of the work week for me. I work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule because that's how most run in my industry, the jewelry industry. I like having Sundays off for sure and it's nice to have a weekday off, but dang I do miss having Saturdays off. After four years of this schedule, that has not changed. I miss a lot of things by working on Saturdays, mostly bridal showers and baby showers. But I also miss things like Art Deco walking tours and simple afternoon BBQs.

But I chose this schedule. I chose it for this part of my life to work on Saturdays so I could learn the business from the inside out and not just work in a mall jewelry shop.

So today I ask, what have you given up for something more? What have you given up for something less?

I love what I do. I love getting to be part of people's special occasions and working with their heirlooms. But I know there will come a time, possibly when I am married and begin a family, where I may need to give that up in order for something more.

We just came through the lent season, and I always find that afterward the thing I gave up, that seemed so hard, now at the end is so much less important. But I know sometimes in life we give up something that is important and that we shouldn't give up. Then over time, that things seems less important because you have distance from it. Even though if you went back to it, you would feel all the passion and joy you had for it in the first place.

So this week, what can you return to? What passion and joy can you move back to in your life? It may even be something that you have told people was no big deal anymore. Make it a big deal again.

I truly believe that the desires of our heart are not an accident, they are not just there haphazardly. They are there because it is who we are supposed to me. Follow those desires. It you need accountability in it, find someone. I'm interested to see what you all move towards.

Let's all live more fulfilled.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you writing. What are you going back to?

    ReplyDelete