Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Some Whys Behind the What

I went to a church gathering tonight. One that I knew I needed to go to, but wasn't sure why or what to expect. My friend Keith is part of it and I have not seen him in a long time. I didn't know if he would recognize me or if I would know anyone else. I get a little socially anxious at times and was feeling nervous, but I went anyway.

I pulled into the parking lot and there were not that many cars. I parked and approached the front door cautiously. As I opened it I saw Keith and just a handful of other people. I was not more than a  foot inside the door, when he looked up, smiled and said, "Darcy!" I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I was seen and known and the rest of the night was glorious.

That feeling of being seen and known it part of the reason for the Returning Dignity Project. PEOPLE FEEL INVISIBLE. And for many people their daily lives reinforce that feeling and make it not just a feeling but a truth in their life.

Everyone of us are broken. Everyone of us needs healing. However, we cannot embrace healing unless we embrace the brokenness. A very wise friend of mine has said, "You do not need to tell people they are broken or wrong. They already know." This is so full of truth I can barely stand it. I want us to be a community of people who engages with people in a way that does not tell them these things, but instead shows them their value and their worth. This is part of why I started the Returning Dignity Project.

We are all part of the human community and we all need to be more humane to each other. I don't care about your belief systems, I don't care about your lifestyle choices. I don't care about your gender or race. Healing and helping each other is above all of those things. We can be an amazing community working together to reach more and more people everyday.

I am so excited about the fact that I am seen and known, but I am more excited about the people we will touch.

Thank you for being a part of this!

PS-Thanks to Tye and Adam for very quotable things.

1 comment:

  1. hi Darcy, i jsut came across your blog from a friend of mine, michael, i really like what you said, so true, those first few minutes walking in any room like that can be overwhelming.
    i was wondering if you have ever heard of this group? check them out you might like them!!! keep on writing, great thoughts!!
    http://www.facebook.com/peopleofthesecondchance

    ReplyDelete