Friday, April 16, 2010

We All Sat on The Floor...

Good morning and good Friday to you all.

I hope you are all having a good time with the Returning Dignity Project, keep it up and more things to come.

I had one of those amazing evenings last night. An evening full of golden moments. And, as in many cases, it involved music.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros played the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach last night with opening act He's My Brother She's My Sister. My friend Leigh and I were there and it was so great for so many reasons.

First off, I am a total foodie and Leigh and I grabbed dinner at the Wild Note which is the restaurant tied to the Belly Up. Let's just say that the pine nut crusted chicken stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, spinach and cheese started the night off well.

Leigh and I have known each other since 8th grade, but have not seen each other in over a year so there was much catching up to do. But as always with her, it was easy and comfortable and a true reminder of why I am blessed to have her in my life.

The Belly Up was sold out last night but not an uncomfortable place to be. He's My Brother She's My Sister is a band well worth seeing on their own. Not only were the songs good as well as the instrumentation, but they have a member who is a tap dancer. They mic her dancing and it is part of the percussion line. Amazing. I spoke with frontman Robert Kolar afterwards and he could not be a nicer guy. Check them out. Way Cool.

During the break between bands, we met Adam who would be just one of the people in our entourage last night. He became the gate keeper to our standing space last night and as a true gentleman, kept us ladies from being too crowded. He also was wearing and Old Crow Medicine Show shirt. Yay Adam.

Now I am very open about the fact that I don't like jam bands. I really don't. It may be the storyteller in me, but I need more of a three act structure in my songs and not a meandering line that seems to go on forever. Jams bands don't really resolve and I get bored easily. Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros can border on that a little, but I love them. I JUST LOVE THEM.

I saw them open up last year for Gogol Bordello. It had been a tough day and to be honest their set was healing. There music is happy and upbeat and makes you want to join their zany family band. Those are all the reasons I wanted to see them again last night. It did not disappoint.

As they set into their first few songs, we also met Devon and Elizabeth, two really nice girls who were not like many of the drunk chicks who kept knocking into everyone with their large purses.

NOTE: Ladies, if you are going to a show, please minimize the stuff you carry inside. It makes it better for everyone!

After Devon and Elizabeth, we got the honor of meeting Matt (who I didn't realize til later was with Devon and Elizabeth.)

Matt and I talked music and he told me I should check out the band he drums for, The White Buffalo.

I had a fan girl moment.

Thanks to that same "get up early" reverend, I happen to LOVE The White Buffalo and had only just told Leigh about the band at dinner that night. AWESOME!!

So there we were and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros are playing and we're all singing and dancing and just having a great time! In between songs there were talks about other great music like the Pixies and Tom Waits. And about great shows we had all been too. That's one of the great things about music. How you can have an instant entourage of cool people who are having a great time.

On their very last song, Alexander (Edward Sharpe) invited a bunch of audience members onto the stage and then invited the whole Belly Up to sit down on the floor. And we did.

The whole place sat down indian style like we did when we were kids and just listened and it was perfect.

I hope you all have a perfect evening soon. I hope today is full of golden moments. And I have attached some music links to check out the bands I've mentioned. Enjoy!

Edward Sharpe and Magnetic Zeros, "Home"


The White Buffalo "Damned"


He's My Brother She's My Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment